Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Are You My Sugar Daddy?

Do you know anyone who is wealthy? Maybe it's a rich great uncle, or a successful business person in your community. Perhaps you know someone who cashed in on the internet boom of the late 90's or even better still, somebody who has won the lottery!

I think we all know somebody of wealth. We may not know them as well as we would probably like, but we know who they are (and we definitely know where they live!). And I think we have all sat around the kitchen table looking at our bank statement and wished someone of wealth would come by our house and give us $20,000! You know those moments when we start thinking things like - They have plenty of money to spare. Shoot, they probably spend that much in a week! Maybe I should call them and ask them for some money? If I knew them better I might ask but I don't so that would be inappropriate (not to mention unhealthy). And so we go on in our financial condition dreaming of being rescued!

Well I was thinking about some of the wealthy people I know today and how stupid I would feel asking them to bail me out, or simply improve my quality of living. I would NEVER ask them to do that for me! And then I was reminded of a conversation I had with Rhonda the other day.

Is that not exactly what I do when I constantly ask God to fix a problem, stop my kids from crying so I can sleep, give me peace, show me the way, heal my sickness, stop the pain! I am coming to the God of all wealth and asking Him for simple handouts. Now I know God delights in us, and He cares about these things too, but I would never treat my rich friends this way. So why do I treat God that way?

I mean, if you the President of the United States was your father would you go to him day after day and ask him to fix your problems? Would you ask him to pay off your in advised purchases so you don't have any debt? Maybe?! But I would hope that I would occassionaly ask him how the war on AIDS was going? Or if he could allocate some resources to the poor, or improving health care. I think that if I understood the magnitude of his position I would start asking him to do stuff bigger then fix my own problems!

So it has me thinking about the way I approach God. What do I ask for? Would I ask that of anyone else I know?

I guess it's something that I will have to learn how to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home