Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Pursuit of Wholeness

I was challenged today while preparing a series on sexuality about my philosophy of resource materials.

We are about to embark on a teaching series that addresses sexual addiction and brokeness (among many other great topics relating to our sexuality!). Obviously we wanted to ensure that we didn't just lead people to a revelation of their brokeness without having plenty of resources available to help them as they pursued wholeness and God centred sexuality. But as we talked about how we would resource people I was challenged by what the apostle Paul wrote in Galatians about fruit that comes through living a spirit led life.

To summarize - Paul essentially states that fruit comes through a spirit led life. It can not be attained on it's own. It can not be purchased at a vendor. It is a by-product of a life lived surrendered to God's spirit. So what's my point?

Jesus said:

"Apart from me you can do nothing" John 15:5

"Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father" James 1:17

"No one comes to the Father except through me" John 14:6

"Seek first the kingdom and all these things will be added" Matt 6:33


All things come out of me coming to Christ first. HE is my access to the Father. The Father is the giver of ALL things. So how can I attain anything good unless I first come through Jesus?

I can't become a better person by practicing patience, self-control, love, gentleness etc. That isn't fruit, it's a life that is mimicking fruit - it is plastic fruit! And I won't experience sexual healing by simply avoiding elicit sexual materials or situations. I will experience wholeness only by spending time in Jesus presence and then living out of the direction he gives me. A spirit led life of obedience.

Paul writes that if the law had any power to save us we would have no need for Jesus. I suppose it raised for me one simple question - "Do I truly believe that Jesus is enough?"

So my thought for the day is this: "Wholeness is not a strategy - It is a fruit"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jon,

god continues to convict me on the resource material thing this week. my human "need" is for us to be prepared, and it feels out of control for me to not rely on those resources - even like neglect of our responsibility.

i've also noticed just how much i recommend books in conversation with people. just this week i've caught myself a bunch of times - hearing the holy spirit inviting me to just hold off on the resource recommendation and ask about the pursuit of god first.

thanks for the post

dar

9:19 AM CDT

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home