Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The One Thing I Asked

Have you ever tried to do something nice for someone and it blows up in your face? Well a few months ago Rhonda (my wife) was on her way home after visiting her parents for a few days. The house was a mess and I thought I would make her day by cleaning it up before she got home. Usually I would have spent my time finishing my latest renovation (because that is what I appreciate) but I really wanted to give her a great gift so I settled on doing the dishes. After all, nothing says "I love you" like doing the things your spouse appreciates.

Now what you need to know is that Rhonda loves it when I clean up the kitchen (more specifically - when I wash the dishes!) - and probably even more importantly - you need to know that just before she left for home she called and asked me if I could arrange a babysitter for the next evening? I of course said 'sure!'.

Fast forward a few hours - I'm frantically putting the finishing touches on our newly cleaned house when Rhonda walks in the door. At this point I'm thinking "boy is she gonna love this!" and so I go to the door to welcome her home. And then with one simple question disaster struck. Katrina had nothing on this moment. I mean if joy was a balloon - it was not only about to be deflated, it was about to burst into a million pieces never to be found again. What was the dreaded question...

"Did you remember to call the babysitter?"

I tried my best to say 'sorry' and explain that I had forgotten on the account of cleaning the house but it was no use. I was in the dog house. But what about the clean house? What about the fact that I did the dishes. I gave you the kind of gift you truly love and appreciate? Didn't I? Rhonda's only response was this - "But you didn't do the ONE THING I ASKED!!".

So I took my licks and purposed to eventually learn how to love my wife in the way she wanted to be loved.

Well a few weeks passed and I was contimplating the writings of the prophet Isaiah and the statement "Obedience is better than sacrifice" (Isaiah 66). What does obedience look like in worship and why is it better than sacrifice? And then it hit me!

DO THE ONE THING I ASK!

You can bring me your songs
You can give me your tithes and offerings
You can surrender your dreams to me
But if you don't do the one thing I ask your sacrifice is as worthless as pagan ritual.

My wife was reflecting the heart of God! Our marriage putting worship into a proper perspective! It's not about all of the good things I do - it's about listening and living out as a servant!

I was suddenly reminded of what Jesus taught when he said "I only do the things my father asks me to do". Jesus wasn't bringing a sacrifice - an 'acceptable' offering. He didn't ask the question 'What do I want to give God today to show him how much I love him?'. He understood that the way to bless his Father was to listen and then do what his Father asked. Simple obedience leading to perfect worship!

So today I'm on a new quest - To daily ask the question 'What do you want me to do today?' and then learn how to do the one thing He asks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

Great post! An interesting way of thinking about the "one thing" perspective.
Great to see you and some of your gang at Sanctuary this past sunday! You are welcome any time!

11:24 AM CDT

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home